KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION 2015-2016
Friday, March 27th from 12:00 pm until 7:00 pm
The mission of MacGowan Elementary School is to provide purposeful literacy, numeric, sensory motor and relationship building experiences which will enhance the physical, emotional, intellectual and social development of young children in order to instill a lifelong love of learning. We recognize the importance of parent involvement in student education and will strive to build a partnership between parents and staff in order to help each child succeed.
WELCOME TO 2014-2015 SCHOOL YEAR
MacGowan School Vision
The vision of the MacGowan community is one where:
- Students and staff show regard for one another.
- Students are eager and confident learners.
- Students have intrinsic motivation to make socially acceptable choices.
- Students possess the literacy and numeric foundation for future school success.
- A partnership between home and school exists to maximize student success.
- All children can and should be given every opportunity to learn.
- Children should be taught using developmentally appropriate practice.
- Children's individual learning needs should be met through differentiated instruction.
- A foundation of sensory motor development is necessary for future school success.
- Learning should be joyful.
- Children need clear behavioral limits, expectations and predictable routines.
- Children need a safe learning environment.
- Children need strong connections with adults that care for them in order to be successful.
- A home/school connection maximizes a child's educational success.
Regular school attendance is crucial to the development and education of children. There is a negative impact on the students and community when a student does not attend regularly. As a child learns to read and acquire basic math skills it is important that he/she practices these skills daily. Children begin to learn how to socialize with others, follow directions and solve problems creatively at school. If a child does not attend regularly, is frequently tardy or picked up before dismissal often some of these skills will not develop properly.
If your child is going to be absent or tardy please call the attendance line at 313-242-3810. If you are going to pick your child up early, please send a note to the teacher so that the office does not have to interrupt the classroom to call your child to the office. We ask that any parent picking up their child after 3:10 wait until the end of the day at their child’s assigned door. The last twenty minutes of school are very hectic and it is difficult to accommodate parents arriving after 3:10. Thank you so much for your cooperation for helping us improve attendance!
Winter Weather Gear
Please make sure that your child is dressed for the cold weather with a winter coat, hat, scarf and mittens. When there is snow send your child with boots and snow pants so that they can play in the snow during recess. They really enjoy playing in the snow but those without boots and snow pants are limited to the black top area during recess when there is snow. We will go outside for recess unless the temperature or wind-chill is below 10 degrees.
Keeping Our Students Healthy
Any child who has a fever of 100 degrees or more should not return to school until 24 hours of normal temperature have passed
Active, heavy coughing with a runny nose and sneezing are symptoms that may need a doctor’s evaluation
Any child who vomits or has diarrhea should not return to school until 24 hours after symptoms have passed
Any child who runs a fever of 100 degrees or more or presents signs of a contagious disease will be sent home from school. It is the parent’s responsibility to provide transportation and care for the child. Please keep your emergency phone numbers up to date and provide us with several names and numbers of people who can care for your child if you are unavailable.