Dr. Sarena Shivers, Superintendent
Dr. Sarena Shivers has been an educator for twenty-three years. She has served as a teacher, assistant principal, principal in Michigan, Indiana, overseas for the Department of Defense and Maryland. In 2010, Dr. Shivers became the Director of Curriculum and Instruction for Southfield Public Schools. For the past five years, Dr. Shivers has been the Assistant Superintendent of Achievement for Washtenaw Intermediate School District, Ann Arbor, MI.
She received her bachelor’s degree in elementary education from Morgan State University and her Masters degree in Administration and Supervision from Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana. In 2003, Dr. Shivers received her doctorate in Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis from Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana.
Dr. Shiver’s key areas of expertise and professional accomplishments are; curriculum and instruction, program development and alignment, program evaluation and opening innovative school programs (alternative high schools, early college, and honors programs). She has steep knowledge of teaching and learning and has led key initiatives in the areas of school change, cultural proficiency, adolescent literacy, writing, mathematics, and school leadership.
In September 2014, Dr. Shivers received the S.L. Roberson Community Leadership Award, the highest award the Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Office bestows on a civilian. She was chosen for the honor because of her work in helping to develop and train over 4,000 staff and bus drivers in active shooter/threat procedures known as A.L.I.C.E.
In addition, Dr. Shivers has been an external reviewer for AdvancED national accreditation institution, a national consultant for The College Board in their College Readiness Division, a “Data Teams” trainer, and trained to be a restorative practices facilitator. Dr. Shivers has been an adjunct lecturer at Eastern Michigan University since 2005 teaching a pre-service teaching course on assessment and evaluation.
The vision of the Redford Union School community is one where:
- Redford Union Schools will transform the lives of students by offering an innovative, collaborative, high quality education.
- Student learning is our highest priority.
- Students learn best when they are actively engaged in a learning process that meets their personalized and individual needs.
- Students deserve a right to be educated in a safe and secure learning environment.
- The school community benefits from an inviting environment that fosters mutual respect for all.
- Students benefit when school, family, and community are active partners in education and have high expectations for success.